School Logo Image

Please see below some commonly asked questions about your coverage with Student VIP.

  • Who is eligible for coverage?
  • How much does the plan cost?
  • If I already have coverage, can I opt-out of the WLU Students' Union Plan?
  • Can I add family to the plan?
  • How long do I have to submit a claim?
  • How do I check on the status of my claim?
  • What is the Opt-Out process?
  • What if the only medication that works is not covered?
  • Do I need to submit a prescription with my claim?
  • Coordination of benefits (COB)
  • Why are oral contraceptives not covered?
  • Is there a maximum age cap on my student plan?

All full-time or part-time undergraduate students, including co-op, work term & study abroad students, registered in the Fall term are automatically covered under this plan, provided you have provincial coverage (i.e. OHIP) or equivalent coverage (i.e. UHIP for international students).

2018-19 Fees 

Policy Period: September - August

Single: Health $119.33/ Dental $112.00

Family (1 Dependent)*: Health $238.66/  Dental: $224.00

Family (2 or more Dependents)*: Health $357.99/ Dental $336.00

*Family rates do not include single rates.


Yes, if you have comparable alternative coverage you may opt-out of the Student VIP plan during the opt-out period.

You should be aware that your WLU Students' Union Plan offers benefits specifically designed for students.  You may find it advantageous to remain enrolled on this plan and coordinate your benefits with your existing coverage.

Yes, students may enroll their spouse and/or dependent children onto the plan for an additional fee during the opt-in period in which they begin their studies.


The following are considered eligible dependents:

Spouse/Common-Law: The legal spouse of the insured student provided there is no legal separation in effect, or an individual of the same or opposite sex who has been residing with the insured student for a period of at least one (1) year and who has been designated as the spouse/common-law partner of the insured student in the policyholders records for insurance purposes, and is a resident of Canada and has provincial health coverage (or equivalent coverage).


Dependent Child(ren): Any natural child, step-child or legally adopted child of the insured student, who is under 21 years of age, unmarried and receives full support and maintenance from the insured student, or those over 21, but under 25 years of age, unmarried and receives full support and maintenance from the insured student for reason of full-time attendance at an accredited institute, college, or university in Canada, or receives full support and maintenance from the insured student by reason of mental or physical infirmity, and is a resident of Canada and has provincial health coverage (or equivalent coverage).

All claims must be submitted to Medavie Blue Cross™ no later than 12 months from the date the expense was incurred.  In the event of termination of coverage, claims incurred prior to the termination date must be submitted to Medavie Blue Cross™ within 3 months of the termination date.

You can check the status of your claim via the Medavie Blue Cross Portal or Mobile App.


Medavie Blue Cross Portal:

Using the Portal, you can check your claim status by clicking the "Statements" top menu bar.  Then select a date range, insured member, line of benefit, and hit "Search". If your claim has already been processed you will also be able to see the explanation of benefits.


Medavie Blue Cross Mobile App:

While using the Mobile App, you can check your claim status by simply clicking the "View my claims" top menu bar.


Additional Questions:

Any outstanding questions regarding claim status/history can be directed to Medavie Blue Cross via the contact information listed below:

If you choose to request an opt-out from the WLU Students' Union Plan, you must provide comparable coverage online during the opt-out period.

Note: There are no exceptions or extensions to the opt-out deadline.  If you submit a claim during the opt-out period and have requested to opt-out of the plan your opt-out request will be declined and your fee will not be reversed.

In the event that the therapeutic alternatives, which are eligible under the plan, prove to be ineffective for treating your particular condition, it is possible to have a special care approval for your medication.  These approvals are done on a case-by-case basis.  You must complete the Exception Request Form.  You will be notified in writing if your application has been approved or not.

For some benefits you will need to submit a prescription alongside your claim for it to be eligible. These are as follows:

-Drug Claims & Vision Appliances - always require a prescription. 
-Registered Massage Therapy (RMT) - requires a physicians prescription on your first claim submission, each policy year.
-Orthotics & Orthopedics - must be prescribed by an attending physician, orthopedic surgeon, physiatrist, rheumatologist or chiropodist/podiatrist.
-Hearing Aids - Must be prescribed by an otorhinolaryngologist or otologist, or recommended by an audiologist. 

Some travel expenses will also require a receipt. For more information on this please contact Blue Cross directly at 1-833-867-3468 or 

Students with plans through their parents or spouse can coordinate their benefits for increased coverage. To do this, submit first to Student VIP. Once you get your Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and your reimbursement, you can submit that along with your receipts and claim form from your parents' plan for further reimbursement.

Students with plans through their employer must submit to the provider they have had the longest first, then submit to their other plan second.

The Students' Union Health & Dental plan does not cover oral contraceptives because the WLU Health & Wellness Centre offers discounted oral contraceptives in the office on a cost-recovery basis.

Visit the Health & Wellness Centre for more information.

Yes. Insurance companies everywhere will have a maximum age cap for Health, Dental, Accident, Travel etc. The current age cap on your student plan is age 70.