School Logo Image
Your Coverage_Old
Policy Year: September 1, 2023 - August 31, 2024

The details below are a summary of benefits, limitations and exclusions to apply. Full benefit details can be found in the Benefit Booklet on the Medavie Blue Cross™ Portal In the event of a discrepancy between the website and the Benefit Brochure, the Benefit Brochure will be taken as true.

Drug, Extended Health, Vision and Dental coverage is valid in Canada only.  Travel coverage is valid worldwide.  Please review your policy for full details.

  • Drug Coverage
  • Extended Health Coverage
  • Vision Coverage
  • Dental Coverage
  • Travel Coverage

Drug Coverage - 80% Coverage

Overall Maximum of $3,000 per participant per benefit year. The termination age for Drug Coverage for the UWSA Health & Dental benefits is 70. 

Direct2U Virtual Pharmacy
Drugsmart Pharmacy


Direct2U Virtual Pharmacy, Drug Smart Pharmacy + All Other Pharmacies

80% Coverage   Generic Drugs
80% Coverage   Brand Name Drugs

Dispensing Fee: 100% of any amount up to $8


Mandatory Generic Product Selection 

  • Brand name drugs will be covered up to the amounts listed above up to the cost of the lowest-priced generic equivalent.
  • Only those drugs which legally require a prescription and are eligible under your benefits will be covered.

Drug Benefits also Include: 

  • Vaccines*
  • Glucose Monitoring Systems** ($3,000/ Benefit Year)

  • Managing Chronic Disease Services ($500/ Benefit Year)

  • CNS Stimulants *** (Maximum of $1,750/ Benefit Year)

Drug Benefits do NOT Include: 

  • All forms of Cannabis
  • Hair Growth Stimulants
  • Varicose vein injections
  • Injectable and Oral vitamins
  • Smoking Cessation Aids/Remedies
  • Fertility Drugs/Treatment
  • Anti-Obesity drugs/Products
  • Erectile Dysfunction Drugs

Want to know if your drug is eligible for coverage? Check out the Eligible Drug Search tool to find out!

*Vaccinations must be administered by a licensed retail pharmacy to be eligible for coverage. 

**Glucose monitoring systems and diabetic supplies are not subject to the Overall Benefit Maximum.

***CNS Stimulants are medications used to increase physical activity, mental alertness and attention span. They are often used in the treatment of Attention Deficit Disorder and/or Hyperactivity Disorders (i.e. Adderall, Concerta, Vyvanse, Ritalin and their generic versions).

Hospitalization - 100% Coverage

$5,000 maximum per benefit year
  • Hospital Room (Semi-Private Accomodation)
  • Convalescent Care/ Physical Rehabilitation (combined) up to 120 days/ Benefit Year

Practitioner Coverage - 80% Coverage

$1,000 combined per benefit year

  • Chiropractor (includes 1 X-ray)
  • Chiropodist
  • Podiatrist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Massage Therapist

$950 combined per benefit year

  • Naturopath
  • Acupuncturist
  • Osteopath (includes 1 X-ray)
  • Speech Therapist
  • Occupational Therapist

$800 combined per benefit year:

  • Psychologist **
  • Psychotherapist**
  • Social Worker (MSW)** ***
  • Counselling Therapist **
  • Psychoeducator **
**Mental health practitioners who do not meet the above criteria will not be considered eligible for coverage under these benefits.
**Psychotherapists must be in good standing with the college in their province, as well as registered as a provider with Medavie Blue Cross and be issued a provider number.
*** All MSW Claims are manual claims and are not direct-billing eligible.

Other Medical Coverage - 80% Coverage

Coverage is to maximum indicated, unless otherwise stated:

  • Custom Orthopedic Shoes/ Custome Made Foot Orthotics ($200/ Benefit Year)*** **** *****
  • Diabetic Equipment ($200/ Benefit Year)
  • Hearing Aids ($500/ every 5 Benefit Years)
  • Ambulance to Nearest Treating Hospital ($1,000/plan year -Reasonable & Customary)

***Prescribed by a medical doctor, an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist 
****For a full listing of eligible expenses, please see the benefit booklet
*****Must be obtained from one of the following eligible providers: podiatrist, chiropodist, pedorthist, orthoptist, or chiropractor (with an orthotic agreement on file)


Vision Coverage - 100% Coverage

The termination age for Vision Coverage for the UWSA Health & Dental benefits is 70.
  • Eye Examinations - 1 Eye Exam per 24-month period up to usual and customary amount
  • Frames, Lenses, Contact Lenses & Laser Eye Surgery - $225 per 24-month period
This coverage excludes expenses incurred for non-corrective sunglasses and safety glasses.  Please make sure to include your prescription (no more than 2 years old) along with your receipt when submitting claims for reimbursement. 

Frames, Lenses and Contact Lenses must be purchased from a Canadian provider to be considered eligible under the benefits.

Frames are only eligible if purchased in conjunction with prescription lenses.

Click here to learn more  

Vision Pros

Use code: VPSTVIP8 for 8% off at Vision Pros

Dental Coverage - 15% - 80% Coverage

Pre-Authorization: It is strongly recommended to obtain a pre-authorization for extensive dental procedures to prevent unexpected costs. Have your dentist send a pre-determination along with your name and Student ID to Medavie Blue Cross™ at fax: 506-867-4651.

Students can check to see if the dental code on their pre-determination is eligible under their benefits. Login to the Blue Cross Member Portal to find out! Note that this does not say how much is eligible, just if the code itself is eligible on your benefits.


Annual combined maximum of $1,000/year/insured       Reimbursement based on Current Dental Fee Guide. Note that specialist fees will be paid at General Practitioner rates.


Examinations (80%)

Complete oral examination (once every 5 years) / Limited & Recall examination (once every 12 months)


Radiographs (80%)

Complete series Periapical or Panoramic (once every 5 years)  / Bitewing (once every 12 months)


Preventative Services (80%)

Dental polishing (1, 15-minute unit every 12 months) / Scaling (3, 15-minute units every 12 months) / Fluoride Treatment (1, 15-minute unit every 12 months)


Basic Care (80%)

Fillings, Periodontics, Root Planing, Oral Surgery, Anesthesia

Endodontics (30%)

Root Canal

Major Restorative (15%)

Denture Services, Implants, Crowns

Limitations and Exclusions may apply.


Before You Depart

Keep In Mind

  • Travel coverage cannot be extended past August 31 each policy year. If your travel duration exceeds August 31, please contact your health plan office or Student VIP for more information.
  • 365 days of coverage may not be valid for international students. Please contact the health plan office or Student VIP for confirmation before you leave the province.
  • Travel coverage offered through the plan is only valid if your provincial health care is in force for the entire duration of your travel. Please contact your provincial Ministry of Health office or download the appropriate travel flyer HERE for more information.

365 Days per Trip, $2,000,000 Maximum

Coverage Includes, but is not limited to:

  • Emergency medical assistance
  • Repatriation of mortal remains (maximum $7,500)
  • Airfare in the event of:
    • Missed return flight due to illness of you or travelling companion
    • Medically required attendant to accompany insured home
    • Cost of airfare for spouse or close relative if confined outside province for at least 7 days 
    • Cost of airfare to return unsupervised children under the age of 15 home when only available supervising guardian is hospitalized
  • Cost of return of patient's vehicle when patient or family is unable to do so (maximum $1,000)
  • Costs incurred by family (when patient is detained in hospital) for meals and accommodation {maximum $150/day up to 20 days} ($3,000 Maximum/Incident) 
  • Trip cancellation ($7,500 Maximum) 
  • Lost luggage coverage ($500 Maximum)
  • International students will have 30 days of coverage in their home country for emergency services if provincial or equivalent coverage is extended as well.
  • Psych Coverage abroad- If you seek services abroad, you may claim your visits upon return to Canada and may be eligible for a refund. All claims are adjudicated in accordance with policy wording and eligible claims are refunded in Canadian dollars



Expenses incurred for injuries and/or illness as a result of the insured’s reckless behavior while on a trip, including international non-compliance with a prescribed treatment or therapy, or intentional misuse of medication or reckless disregard for their own health or safety while engaging in activities or treatment thereof, or accidents relating thereto. 

Emergency Assistance

Are you currently travelling and need to contact your travel provider?

Within Canada (not your home province) and the United States: 1-800-563-4444
Anywhere else in the world, call collect: 1-506-854-2222


Please have the following information ready:


Personal Information

  1. Your name and Student ID

  2. Your Policy Number 0099664000

Travel Information

  1. Travel dates: departure date and return date (from/to) the home province

  2. Travel destination: City, State/Province (when applicable), Country

  3. Travel purpose

Medical Information

  1. Description of the medical emergency or need (symptoms, circumstances, etc.)

  2. Date of medical emergency or first onset of symptoms

Visa's and Travel Letters

Visa & Travel Letter Request Forms

  • Students requiring proof of coverage for their Visa application may complete the Visa & Travel Letter Request Form, your request will be reviewed and the letter e-mailed to you in 3-5 business days.
  • Students only require a travel letter if the country they are travelling to requires a letter for entry into the country, or if they have to apply for a travel visa. 
  • Domestic students travelling to Cuba do not require a travel letter, your provincial health coverage should be sufficient for entry into Cuba. 


J1 Visas

  • Applicants for a J1 Visa require specific levels of coverage in order to obtain the visa. We have provided an enhancement to the travel coverage to meet all requirements. If you are J1 visa applicant, please contact us at and we can assist with upgrading your coverage.
Provincial Health Coverage

Provincial Coverage & Travel

  • Those with a valid provincial health plan card may still have partial coverage for some emergency services while travelling abroad. For more information please visit the Ministry of Health website for the province your coverage is with.

  • Travel coverage offered through the plan is only valid if your provincial health care is in force for the entire duration of your travel. Please contact your provincial Ministry of Health office or download the appropriate travel flyer HERE for more information.

Travel Advisories

Students planning to travel to counties with travel advisories issued to them should check to ensure coverage will be enforced while abroad, even if not planning to travel to an affected area.  


The Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website includes Travel Warnings and Advisories for specific countries experiencing civil unrest.  Their website is and the information is updated regularly.  We recommend that you check this website prior to leaving Canada for essential travel information.

When a Travel Warning or Advisory has been issued for a country that you are travelling to, it is important for you to be aware of the impact this may have on your Out-of-Canada Emergency Medical benefit with TravelRight.

Although your coverage itself may be allowed, expenses incurred while travelling in a country (or specific region of a country) for which there is a Government of Canada travel warning to avoid all travel or non-essential travel, when such travel warning was issued before the departure date and the loss or expense is related to the reason for which the travel warning was issued; or participation in a criminal act or attempt to commit a criminal act, regardless of whether charges are laid or a conviction is obtained; insurrection, war (declared or not), the hostile action of the armed forces of any country or participation in any riot or civil commotion, may not be eligible for coverage depending on the nature of the claim. All other benefit exclusions apply.


We encourage you to review your TravelRight brochure.  If you have any questions, contact your Travel Insurance Provider at 1-800-563-4444


Have you returned from your trip and need to make a claim?

For medical claims abroad (doctor visits, hospital visits, x-rays, lab work, etc.), please complete the Travel Claim Form Request and your claim form will be emailed to you.

For trip cancellation or interruption please complete this form. The attending physician form found here must also be completed if your trip cancellation or interruption is due to medical reasons.

For baggage claims, please complete this form and submit it  
to the Travel Claims Department.

If you wish to speak to an agent:

  • Dial 1-833-867-3468
  • Select Prompt 1 for English

Still need assistance? Please email or Live Chat with us by heading to the home page of this site and clicking the "Live Chat" button.


Important Reminders
  • All claims must be accompanied by original receipts and the original claim form
  • Time Limit to Submit a Claim:  Blue Cross must receive proof of claim within 4 months of the date the expense was incurred to be eligible for maximum reimbursement under the benefit.  Blue Cross will accept claims up to 12 months from the date the expense was incurred.  However, the claim may be subject to reductions.  
  • Please take copies or scans of ALL documents and receipts before submitting your claim
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to notify my province when I leave?

  • You do not need to notify your province However, you will need to make sure you have extended your provincial coverage if required based on your time out of your province/Canada. For more information, please click here.


I am an international student, does this affect my coverage?

  • Yes, you must have private or provincial health care in place in order for the Student VIP Travel Right coverage to be in place. In addition, the duration of coverage under this plan mirrors the duration of coverage from your alternate insurance. For example, if your private plan covers you for 60 days, we will cover you for 60 days.


How do I get a card before I leave?

  • Your Health and Dental Benefits card is also your travel card. Please click here for your wallet card.


Do I need to notify anyone before I leave Canada/my province?

  • You do not need to notify us. However, there may be a requirement to notify your University International Office if you are going on a school related trip. Please consult your school for these requirements.


How do I get a letter of proof of coverage?

  • If you require a letter of proof of coverage, please click here.


If I need to see a doctor while out of country will I have to pay up front?

  • You may need to pay up front if you do not call us in advance. Please call before seeking medical attention so we can help direct you to a medical facility and arrange direct billing on your behalf. If you do pay up front, you can submit a claim.
  • Please call us:

Travel within Canada and US- 1-800-563-4444

Anywhere else in the world (Call collect) – 1-506-854-2222


A travel advisory has been issued for my destination, what do I do?

  • Please contact us to discuss your coverage options for destinations where a travel advisory has been issued. You can reach us at 1-833-867-3468 and ask to speak to the Travel Department.


Full details can be found in the Travel Brochure. The termination age for Travel Coverage for the UWSA Health & Dental benefits is 70. 


live chat